Being happy is one of the best things you can do to experience good health. Finding the humor in life is a fine art that is worth pursuing. Even when the struggles mount up, there is always something to be glad about. Happiness and other positive emotions have their own power against disease, sickness, and other illnesses. Here are 7 keys to happiness:
1. Give thanks. Even in the midst of trials, there is always something to be thankful for. Starting the day with thanksgiving sets the day up well. Finding opportunities to be thankful instills a spirit of thanksgiving that enables you to see the brighter side of life, even when the going gets tough.
2. Celebrate often. Finding frequent opportunities to celebrate keeps life interesting and adds a sense of playfulness. There are treasures tucked into the pressures of the day. Consider them your candy. Celebrating can take many forms. A simple acknowledgment of something appealing to the eye provides a momentary celebration, such as the pink bow in a little girl’s hair, the periwinkle flowers on the jacaranda tree, a smile and wave from the mailman, or the hummingbird outside the window. Life is strewn with treasures that are there for the finding. Choose to celebrate them.
3. Enjoy small moments amidst the daily stress. Take time to smell the flowers. Every day has its stressors, but when you pepper in little respites of joy, you hold secrets about the pleasure life affords. Take time out for yourself. Take a walk, pause, and breathe deeply. Drink in life in the moment.
4. Laugh. Watch a movie! One of my favorite movie clips is a scene from the Pink Panther series. Inspector Clouseau disguises himself as a dentist, bicycles to a castle, and uses laughing gas. Another favorite funny scene is in the Disney movie, Mary Poppins. The two children visit their father’s very stodgy bank. However, everyone begins laughing, and they end up floating around in the room. Both are delightful depictions of the true lightness of laughter.
5. Smile. People wonder what you’re up to when you smile. A smile conveys an automatic warm message and is a magnet that draws warmth in response.
6. Surround yourself with a special core of people. Give yourself the luxury of a core of loving, supportive, positive people who genuinely care for you. Traveling through life with a core of friends and loved ones makes life sweeter, richer, and fuller. You are healthier for it.
7. Pursue your passions. Whether it is art or politics or puzzles or something else, give priority and space for your passions. Find avenues through which you can express yourself.